Thursday, November 09, 2006

Who Did You Vote For?

On Tuesday, I woke up feeling a little extra American. It was mid-term election day and I was going to exercise my right to vote. Since it was a nice autumn day, I decided to take a stroll down Main St. to Borough Hall where I would help determine the political direction our country would be heading for the next couple of years. Walking on the historic brick sidewalks of Upland, past some of the old colonial houses, along the stone walls that line Main St., I was struck with a real sense of history and I couldn't help but wonder how many other people took this same path since this town was established in the late 1600's. It was a strange feeling. I was even a little nervous as I entered the building and checked in.

I was pleasantly suprised to see, as I entered the voting booth, that I would be casting my vote on an electronic machine as opposed to those archaic, cumbersome machines I've used since I registered. After reading the poorly worded first question pertaining to compensation for veterans a few times to understand it properly, it was time to vote. In this election, as in most cases, I leaned heavily towards the democratic canidates with the exception of the Congressional seat which I went republican. I double checked my choices and pressed the green button labeled vote. I guess that's it. After all the buildup, the whole process was kind of a let down.

That's when I started wondering. Why is there never any proof of this transaction? I buy a pack of gum at a CVS and I get a receipt. I vote for the leaders of this state and country and I get nothing. How do I know for sure my vote registered? What stops certain people from "misplacing" a few votes? What happens when the power goes out and you can't use electronic voting machines? I vote for voting receipts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you visit my site, you will see which way I leaned on Tuesday. Good job America!!!! Awesome to be an American!

6:47 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

i think voting receipts may be the best idea i've heard in a while. i can't believe i've never heard it before, but i guess that's true of many great ideas the first time you hear them.

i'll tell ya what i don't like. the people out in front of the polls. like getting a piece of paper with everyone's name and picture 30 seconds before you draw the curtain is going to change how you vote. i mean, maybe if one of the candidates were some very attractive person (woman), but they guys all look the same. so, we have to politely thank these people as we walk in and try to avoid saying anything committal in front of the opponent's proponents. the whole thing is just too inviting of confrontation, and for no reason, since most people vote their party, and either way, they know who they're voting for on the way in.

the other thing i don't like is the question you have to vote on. they ask you to yay or nay something, but they give you no material background for the situation. this is what the people should be handing out materials about out front. the question is always cumbersomely worded too, so i have to really think about what they are asking, let alone how i feel about it. so i end up just skipping it, because i don't want to be counted as voting for something i probably don't even agree with.

this is our country...

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home